Monday, April 26, 2010

THE LOUDMOUTH


When I go to my daughter's softball or soccer games I go to relax. Even though I'm with all the kids (and usually my husband is there to help)...it's relaxing. We're not home...the house isn't being destroyed. The kids can eat snacks and have a drink...and there are no rugs to spill it on. Yes, for me, going to games is a day in paradise. That was until this weekend's game and I came face to face with the LOUDMOUTH. Anyone who goes to any sporting event has surely encountered the LOUDMOUTH before so you know what I'm talking about....screaming, yelling...and not just for their team but against their team too....in other words against my daughter. And if you think Hell has no fury like a woman scorned...try scorning a mother who's daughter is playing a softball game.
I tried not to let it bother me at first. Even though he sat right next to me and shout so loud I thought my eardrum ruptured. It started with "let's go Allie" (she pitched for the other team)...but then it broadened to "this hitter can't hit...strike her out". If allie pitched a wild pitch and it went too high or too low--he'd scream GREAT PITCH! I surprised myself by just keeping it quiet and trying not to let it bother me...but as he got louder and louder...I knew I wasn't going to be able to take a whole game of this. It didn't help matters that the inning started poorly for my daughter's team and they were down 4-0.
When Graceann was up at bat she got a great hit. He screamed it was a lucky hit. (I'm thinking he's lucky I'm not hitting him about now). Well that was the turning point for me. I reached for my alliance--my other daughters. If anyone can make noise--believe me--they can do it. My husband often says they should tape their screams and whining and send it to prisoner camps as a form of torture when they try to make you confess whatever it is you don't want to confess. I told Caroline...isn't this man next to us annoying? She said yes. I said, let's cheer really hard for Grace's team". Then I got Pauline rounded up and she was on board. And as the captain of the ship I started screaming wildly for Graceann's team. Next thing I knew the man got up and walked away....YES, VICTORY. Suddenly peace and quiet....until 15 minutes later he returned with a coffee....ugh....and back to his loudmouth ways! So we started our yelling too. I am sure the people around all of us were a bit annoyed. Soon enough the game was over, we won...I had a sore throat and a headache...and was hardly relaxed. My husband told me I had to learn to let it go....when people act crazy like that...just let it go...don't let it bother you. So then I felt guilty that I played into the loudmouth's game. Shouldn't we just let actions speak louder than words....they did...the girls won the game! No more yelling for me! I am now declaring the games scream free zones. And if someone starts up...I will bite my lip...and not say a word. I will cheer for my own daughter...but that's it. Maybe just maybe if it gets unbearable...I'll call in my troups (Caroline and Pauline)...but I won't yell....I'm old enough to know better (the kids still have a few years).

No comments:

Post a Comment