Wednesday, October 7, 2009

HALLOWEEN COSTUMES AND THE TWINS!


This past weekend my daughter Graceann announced that she had her entire Halloween costume figured out. I was very proud that she planned ahead and thought of what outfit to put together. I appreciated her forethought and not waiting til the last minute...until she told me that she had figured it out courtesy of the Party City Catalog. And for $49.95 she could be "Raspberry Girl". First of all I don't think I've ever spent that much on a regular outfit for any of the girls...especially when you're talking cheap synthetic material. I told Grace I would rather give her $49.95 so she can buy a cute "real" outfit from the Gap or Old Navy...and she and her friend could buy the same outfits and dress as "twins". Then the whining began..."you never let me do anything..." "me and Mia had it all planned out...she was going to be blueberry girl and I was going as raspberry girl...why are you ruining it for me". I told her if she truly had to be raspberry girl...put on some pink...hold a basket of raspberries and call it a day. Nope...just more whining. When the whining wasn't getting her anywhere...then she played the pity card. "But mom, this is the only gift I'll ever ask...I'll work for it...my entire allowance for the entire year can go to this outfit!" Obviously I didn't teach them well...even though almost every year we've made our Halloween Costumes. Occasionally we bought things...like the year Caroline wanted to be a policewoman...we bought the badge, the hat etc. But we've always made our costumes...and they always turned out beautiful, unique...special. Of course having 5 girls was a bit easier because most of the time the costumes were princesses or fairies.

Well after enough whining, and sympathetic looks I grabbed the car keys and drove over to Party City. Yes there was Raspberry Girl...in all her raspberry glory...except for $49.95 it was a bit skimpy. Grace tried it on...and surprisingly (and to my hidden happiness) didn't like the outfit...."But I need something Mom....we're here...we have the coupon...what else can I be?" Of course my eyes seemed to magnetize towards the clearance rack...which Grace didn't want any part of. Finally she settled on Vampirina. She was happy cause it looked cool...and Mia could get the same costume. I was happy because it was 20 dollars less than Raspberry girl.

Of course now all the girls want me to run to Party City and get them a store bought outfit vs. our homemade beauties. And then I received an email from a friend that I think is pure genius. One of my girlfriends is organizing a COSTUME TRADE IN PARTY... so you bring an old costume and take a new one. The best part of it is that her kids go to another school so my kids won't be teased and told "ha ha I was that pirate last year!". I think in today's economy this is an excellent idea and I'm surprised more people haven't thought of doing this...or maybe they have and I've been under a rock...but I think its genius...and I LOVE IT....so moms UNITE...AND ORGANIZE THOSE COSTUME PARTIES!


On another note...hats off to the Minnesota Twins. I suppose by now you realize I am a huge baseball fan...The Mets are my team of choice. But as we all know they didn't fare too well this season. Minnesota one month ago was out of first place by 7 games. They perservered and even being 3 games out of first with only 4 to play in the season...they won when they needed to and tied for first place with the Detroit Tigers. Last night was the tiebreaker! What a game it was! Such a nail biter...the Tigers went up 3-0 then the Twins went ahead 4-3 and then the Tigers tied it...then went one up 5-4...and then the Twins came back and tied that. When it was all over in the twelfth the Twins scored the winning run 6-5! My girls got into the game because I was jumping up and down like a crazy lunatic. The Post Season is such a great way to spend time with the family. My girls love all the antics and craziness and fun of the playoffs and the post season. It's been a while since our beloved Mets were a part of it...but we have fun adopting new teams and rooting for them...even learning about where they're from (***ding, ding ding...history lesson here!). So Let's go Twins...they play the Yankees tonight. (As a Die hard Mets fan...you have to know we're totally against the NY Yankees--sorry don't mean to offend!)....and Let's go Colorado....they must beat the Phillies who took it from our Mets.

The Post Season....you never know what to expect...maybe Raspberry Girl will show up!

1 comment:

  1. Do you think I could pull off a Raspberry Girl costume this year? Great seeing you today.

    xo
    Korey

    ReplyDelete