Sunday, October 25, 2009

NO KNEAD BREAD....AND MAD HUNGRY FOR BACON EGG AND CHEESE SANDWICH

JIM LAHEY FROM SULLIVAN STREET BAKERY SHARED HIS RECIPE FOR NO KNEAD BREAD--WHICH I MADE THIS WEEKEND

No Knead means no work--but you do trade that in for time. Basically you mix flour, yeast and water and just let the blob mixture do it's own thing over 12-18 hours. It couldn't be any easier--and there is nothing better than the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven. This recipe was first shared with the NY York Times. Soon after it became all the rage and we were even making it on The Martha Stewart Show.
I am having trouble linking the recipe so if you can google Jim Lahey and no knead bread and the recipe will appear. I encourage you to give it a try...it's a great weekend project because you have the time to just let it sit there...although it's so easy that you could do it during the week at night...let it rise and then just before dinner stick it in the oven to bake. You do need an enameled cast iron dutch oven to let it bake in. I actually burnt something in mine and it couldn't be saved...so being faithful to my boss I ran to Macy's and bought her 7 quart dutch oven. And it even was on sale. Fantastic! The kids loved the bread and as I mentioned before the smell is deliciously intoxicating.


The bread is great spread with butter....and also great with homemade sauce and meatballs....

The secret to my homemade sauce is a pinch of sugar...it gives it a nice hint of sweetness to it. First I saute onions and garlic in olive oil...then when golden I throw in some crushed tomatoes...and then some tomato paste and a pinch of sugar...of course salt and pepper to taste.

Lucinda Scala Quinn was on Martha's show last week featuring her book MAD HUNGRY. It's a book filled with mouthwatering recipes for Mad Hungry men....but as the mom of 5 daughters...this book has great offerings for them because we're all a little MAD HUNGRY. Lucinda came on the show and made a delicious Bacon, Egg and Cheese Sandwich. I made this Sunday morning for my Hungry Man Bob and my mad hungry daughters. I fried two eggs and then between them I added a slice of cheese and bacon. And then put it all on a buttered and grilled bagel.

The egg sandwich is easy to make.
I prefer sesame bagels....but I used "everything" bagels for my husband Bob.

Yum...it turned out delicious.....

A perfect Sunday breakfast....it's as delicious as it looks....









No comments:

Post a Comment