Sunday, September 13, 2009

BIRTHDAY TRADITIONS

What a difference 12 years makes....

Happy Birthday Graceann....a carvel cake was her request!
Birthday wishes...on the bedroom door!



Caroline brings a birthday breakfast to Graceann....



Birthday eggs--sunnyside up with toast...yum!

Graceann's birthday wish...Breakfast in bed! (I wonder if that included her 4 sisters too?)

Two weeks ago Graceann turned 12 years old. So I thought today I would share with you some birthday traditions we have adopted in our household that you might like to use in yours. The first idea was given to me by the great comedian Joey Kola. He said that on New Years Day he allowed his children to eat whatever they wanted to for breakfast. If they wanted ice cream—bring on the cold stuff. I thought this was very interesting although I knew that giving the girls this choice when most likely I might have an hangover from my New Years Eve reveling…or just be plain tired…New Years Day was not going to work for me with this tradition. So instead I adapted it to be the way to start my girls' birthday off right. My girls know that on their birthday they can eat whatever they wish for breakfast…no questions asked. If they want 5 candy bars, my only question is…do you want five of the same kind, or a variety? If they want scoops and scoops of ice cream, I only respond with…name your flavor and be careful not to get brain freeze. If they want as much bubble gum as can fit in their mouth…happy chewing! It’s only one day a year…and I love seeing them starting their birthday off really happy. Although I will say that when we first instituted this birthday breakfast bonanza—and I told them they could have anything…absolutely anything….chocolate fried worms if their heart desired…I noticed a very particularly strange thing happen. They would choose a decent breakfast. If my parents allowed me to eat whatever I wanted when I was their age…I would have asked for barbecue potato chips, cookies, ice cream…and a soda to wash it all down. My kids started requesting for…brace yourself….eggs, cereal…occasionally waffles, toast….crazy right? Although this past July Pauline did request ice pops…and wish granted. Graceann this year requested eggs; toast, fruit and coffee…with one more special request…breakfast in bed. Her wish was granted too.
Another tradition…and I honestly don’t know where this one came from is decorating the door to your bedroom on your birthday. For the past two years Graceann has been decorating her sister’s doors with wrapping paper, pictures, notes…to wish her sisters a happy birthday. It’s all a surprise so when you wake up…it’s another great way to start your day. Graceann asked Caroline if she was going to decorate her door. Caroline said no way….she was too tired and didn’t have anything to decorate it with. Graceann was a little bit dejected…but it was all in Caroline’s plan to pull of a great big surprise. Caroline and her sister Pauline woke up at 3:45 am to decorate her door. I am not sure if Graceann really slept through all the noise that took place. I know I didn’t and I’m all the way down the hall. My husband yelled for them to get back to bed…but I knew they were up to doing something nice…so I told him to let them finish. It made Graceann’s day.
And then another tradition is to go out to dinner with the family…just the immediate family to truly celebrate a well-deserved year. We went to Fuddruckers and ordered the most delicious hamburgers. Then back home for cake and presents…. What a glorious day…. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRACEANN.!

No comments:

Post a Comment