Thursday, September 3, 2009

CAKE

Rebecca's flag cake



I love cake. You know the saying…you want your cake and you want to eat it too---that’s me all right. If I am having cake you better believe I’m digging in! I think I love making cakes as much as I love eating them. I think I must have been a cake decorator in a previous life—not that I really believe in past lives…but it sounds good if I did. While I love making cakes…I am certainly not a master cake decorator…but I love creating cakes that I know friends and family will love. My daughter Rebecca was born on Flag Day (quick…30 points if you know when Flag Day is….buzz…time up June 14th). So for her first birthday I thought it would be cool to make a Flag Cake. When she was two I decided to do it again because it was so well received. When we were trying to figure out what her 3rd birthday cake should look like…she actually surprised me by requesting a flag cake. She now believes the American Flag is a birthday flag….specifically her special birthday flag. So I made another American Flag cake and once again it was delicious and everyone raved about it. I have thought about making it this weekend to celebrate Labor Day…and all of us hardworking Americans…but Little Rebecca will see the cake and wonder where her birthday presents are…so I’ll figure something else out. But if you want to partake in this wonderful cake…I am sharing a recipe I like to use. www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/flag-cake-recipe/index.html Here’s a tip…when it comes to decorating the cake…you should use raspberries instead of strawberries. Strawberries tend to become a bit runny and don’t hold well for a long time.



No comments:

Post a Comment