Monday, November 9, 2009

The Art of The R.S.V.P

Caroline and her sister Graceann serving at Mass

RSVP stands for Repondez s'il vous plait. That's a French phrase that translates to please respond.


In Western culture not replying to an RSVP request with a confirmation of one's attendance or absence is often considered rude. (Wikepedia)


This Sunday my daughter Caroline altar served her first Mass. It was an exciting yet scary time for her (scary because she worried whether or not if she would remember what to do). Her older sister Graceann was serving with her—so she did have a guardian angel looking out for her. It was an extremely proud moment for me. To see her grow in her faith makes me feel really good. So good in fact that I like to highlight these little moments by inviting those who are close to her to participate and be a part of this special day…and then celebrate them with a little gathering afterwards. Although there is no such thing as little gathering since it's always quite a production of food and festivities when my family gets together. I invited family and friends to come to Caroline's Mass. I sent an email and followed up with a personal face to face invitation. Some people mentioned they would come…and others I never heard from. As a host I wasn't sure how many people to expect. But as a mom of 5 children under the age of 12 I didn't have time to be calling everyone and checking on why they didn't RSVP and whether not they were coming. So instead I slaved in the kitchen the night before making homemade sauce, lasagna and meatballs. I cleaned the house like a crazy woman—and stayed up late til it all looked perfect.


Caroline did a perfect job. I was so happy to see her serve at Mass. I took some photographs as discreetly as I could. A few family members and friends joined us at the church. When all was over we headed back to the house where only 1 of our invited guests showed up. It was quite apparent that we didn't need both trays of the homemade lasagna. And of course I wasn't happy. As my friend Wikepedia said above….it's rude when you don't RSVP.


I will admit that there have been times in my lifetime when I didn't RSVP….and to be on the receiving end of it…well let's just say I'll never forget to RSVP again.

No comments:

Post a Comment