Thursday, November 5, 2009

HUSBANDS...YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THEM...AND SOMETIMES YOU CAN'T LIVE WITH....OK I WON'T SAY IT.


I feel sick as a dog...well do dogs actually feel sick? not sure where that expression came from...so I'll look it up tommorrow and let you know. Last night my head ached (nothing to do with the Yankees winning) most likely because I coughed and coughed and coughed. The house was a mess and the last thing I felt like doing was cleaning. Yet when I come home from work I can't help but go into "mom mode" so I started picking things up off the floor, wiping the cracker jack off my antique desk, scraping the fruit roll ups off the hardwood floors etc. Eventually I could do no more...in comes my knight in shining armour who offers to help. He orders pizza for dinner so I don't have to cook. And then tells me to go to bed early because he'll clean up. The kitchen table was a mess and the sink was filled with dishes (Graceann was home sick yesterday...and decided to hold a bake-a-thon in honor of her day off--yes Gracie everything was really delicious...just clean up when you're done!).

So I dragged myself up to bed and fell asleep. I tossed and turned and coughed and turned and coughed and tossed and coughed and turned. When it was finally time to wake up I felt as if I hadn't slept at all. Bob was already up and out the door. In my best zombie impression I trudged downstairs to get ready for work and the kids ready for school. And that's when I saw it. The kitchen table was a mess and the sink was filled with dishes....did I not hear correctly? Didn't my knight in shining armour say he would take care of it and clean? Then I finally understood what his interpretation of clean was...mop the floor. I know I can't complain, after all how many wives have husbands who actually will mop. I so appreciate it...I really really do....but sometimes priorities have to be considered. Mopping can wait til the weekend...dishes piled high in the sink can't. My head was continuing to spin.

I finally got all in order with the kids...and a little screaming to boot...but they were off to school and I was off to work. Then the babysitter called to say the pantry door was locked. Somehow--someone "accidentally" locked it. Yes we put a lock on the pantry because at times the kids need to be kept out of it. Now we only have two keys to the locked pantry. One of the keys my husband had and one of the keys I had. Two days ago my husband told me his key broke. I have been hounding him to make duplicates for months. So I gave him my key--and a wish and a prayer that now he would get duplicates. So when the babysitter called I told her I would call my husband and find out what he did with the key. I asked him...and he told me he didn't know where it was. After the morning I had (remember I am a bear with lack of sleep) I couldn't believe he didn't know where the extra key was...so i took a breath and asked him where the key I gave him yesterday was. He told me he'll have to find it...he didn't know where it was.

Now you might think to yourself...why didn't I just get duplicates of the key made...and you'd be right to wonder that...but I am tired and cranky so don't let me hear you ask that question or it may not be a pretty sight. There are certain jobs that are made for women and there are certain jobs that are made for men. I know what you're thinking now..."she just set back the women's movement 40 years"...but remember, I can't help it. I am cranky, I am tired, I coughed and turned and tossed all night. Ok back to our roles as men and women. Women make the heart of the home...they clean, they cook, they tend to boo-boos, they comfort the kids...(I know why don't I just say they're barefoot and pregnant and that's it while I am at--but remember I may not be conscious of what I'm writing due to the state I'm feeling...so just accept it and bare with me). Men on the other hand have these roles...they fix the cars, they take out the garbage....apparently they mop floors, and they make duplicate keys. End of story...men make duplicates. I don't even think I ever stood foot in a hardware store (although if I did I'd probably find alot of great tools I could use for crafts). Am I wrong? Am I delirious? Go on tell me....

No comments:

Post a Comment